Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cherry Blossoms? What Cherry Blossoms!

Earlier this week, Trav and I ventured over to the Tidal Basin to take in the Cherry Blossom trees. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the National Cherry Blossom Festival (considered by some to be the nation’s greatest springtime celebration), it is basically a series of events, parades, and fireworks to commemorate the gift of the Cherry Blossom trees and the enduring friendship between the U.S. and Japan. I should also point out that my sister-in-law, Amber Greaves, was a former Cherry Blossom Princess!


Anyway, DC basically goes crazy for the Cherry Blossoms, and in an effort to avoid some of the madness we decided to walk down to the Tidal Basin after work on Monday to snap some pictures. This is what we thought we would see:


And this is what we saw instead:


No more pink! We apparently missed peak season (and I think our faces in this picture show our dissapointment.) Luckily, we did get some great shots last year when my Dad was in town for the 2009 Cherry Blossom Festival:



I shouldn't complain about missing peak season, because even though we didn't see great blossoms this year we had a great time walking around DC and enjoying the beautiful weather. We also enjoyed the fireworks on Saturday night during a late dinner at Sou'Wester.


So here's to many more Cherry Blossom Festivals!