Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Washington DC goes Hollywood

First there was MTV’s Real World DC, then the Blonde Charity Mafia (a CW reality show that never aired in the US), and of course, Bravo’s Real Housewives of DC…..but a TV series dedicated to DC’s very own Georgetown Cupcake? Unbelievable.

TLC rolled out its newest reality show, DC Cupcake, on July 16th. I’ve only seen a couple of episodes, but I’m just not that impressed. While the previews promised lots of drama (think shortages of red velvet cupcakes on Valentine’s Day and incompetent employees who can’t perfect the “signature swirl”) it’s my humble opinion that Sophie and Katherine (sisters and co-owners of Georgetown Cupcake) should stick to what they know best…baking! And the baking, let me assure you, is good.

Trav, Amber, and I made our way to Georgetown Cupcakes on Monday night, and even then, the line was LOOONG!

The shop was cute, and it is certainly hard to imagine a full camera crew in here. That's probably enough drama itself!





We ordered Chocoloate Coconut, Chocolate Birthday Cake, Chocolate Ganache, Peach, Cinnamon, and Vanilla Birthday Cake (come on, if you wait in line for 30 minutes you have to sample a lot!).


Trav and I argued over the first bite.....





And then went home, happy and content.

Was it worth the wait? The hype? Maybe…the cupcakes were pretty delicious and the signature swirl was attractive, but if you want my opinion, skip the line and the hoopla, and walk 3 blocks over to Baked and Wired. You won’t be disappointed!